I am not quite sure what’s going on in our beloved country, America. Perhaps I am not smart enough to figure that out all by myself but what I can say for sure is that, it’s definitely not a good sign. Great civilizations after civilization came and gone but the only thing that left over is their history. Glorious history of their rise and sad story of their fall. Indeed writing about all those glorious days are much more easier for historians but do they really enjoy writing about the falls with similar passion or enthusiasm?
From a neutral point of view, historian’s job is to present most possible accurate story of events that took place in time supported by evidence and proof regardless of their subject matter. However, it becomes even harder to shed light on the “negative part” from the total historical chaos. Perhaps, we Humans were designed not to accept or at least to rebel against anything that goes beyond our interest. I am no exception to that.
Moral Dilemma: Right Or Wrong.
The fall of any great civilization can always be linked or at least traced to the declining “Moral Values” of their people. The Roman Empire, Egyptian civilization, Greek, Chinese, Mayan you name it. Dig deep enough, you will find the well. The question is, what about us? Did we ever tried to take a break from our busy day to day life and look back? Did we ever try to understand even what exactly is happening around us?
Today, I spent little time to take a look at ourselves, our country. I can assure you, what I have found and the stats that I am about to share won’t make many of us feel any better as an American, not at least to me. So, here we go.
- Survey shows in America, 25 percent of all employees with internet connection visits sex related websites while they are at work.
- In the Western World, United States has the highest abortion rate.
- More than 56 million American babies has been killed since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973.
- Nearly two third of all “Living Together” couples in America gets separated by the time their children turn 10 years of age.
- Survey shows nearly 24 percent of American teens with STD’s still practice unprotected sex.
- In America we spend 16 billion dollar a year to treat Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
- Among all the developed nations, America has the highest rate of STD infection.
- In the United States, every year more than 3 million child abuse case gets reported.
- Americans consists nearly 5 percent of World’s population yet we buy more than 50 percent of the total prescribed drugs.
- Around 30 percent of all Internet traffic goes to Porn sites.
- Nearly 60 Million American has alcohol related problems.
- Believe it or not, study shows roughly 22 military veterans commits suicide in the United States every single day.
- United States has the highest incarceration rate and largest total prison population in the World.
- Back in 1962, only 13 percent of our population were obese but that number might reach to 42 percent by 2030.
- Heroin traffic in New York City is at a 20 year high.
Trust me, this list goes on and on. I just mentioned some of the issues that I could find after an hour long online search. Afterwards, I simply lost my interest to search any more. It was pretty overwhelming and shocking for me at the same time.
I am not quite sure what to make out of all these information! What exactly your thoughts going to be on this is also unpredictable. Surely, as an ordinary American citizen we all bare the same responsibility and we need to take a serious look at these issues. If we are to build better America, if we want to be remembered as a great nation and let our future generation to cherish our glorious past, we do not have any other choice but to act. Morally and responsibly. I think we don’t have any other choice anyway or do we? God Bless America.